PDA

View Full Version : Out of Round Trailer Axle Spindle

Zteven
07-27-2012, 04:40 PM
The picture shows it all. I blew a bearing the other day so I got a 'new' axle. I noticed this bearing was warm to the touch while the other one was ambient temp after my 10k drive to the launch.

I pulled the hub off and found this spindle. Note the pitting and out of round. It only seems to be in this one spot - maybe 1/2" lengthwise and only one quadrant of the spindle.

As three quarters of the spindle at that location (where the bearing sits) seems fine, should I be worried about it being out of round? In other words, will the 3/4 of the spindle that makes contact with the bearing be fine to support the entire bearing, or is this a problem waiting to happen?

http://www.sidewinder-boats.com/portal/windertalk/attachment.php?attachmentid=4802&stc=1&d=1343421090

Zteven
07-27-2012, 06:23 PM
Just checked it again and while the spindle seems to be round except in the one spot, it is not. When installed, the inner bearing race is very sloppy and will only rest on the top of the spindle.

Looks like they put a bad spindle in my axle.

Go-Fly
07-27-2012, 10:57 PM
Best to buy a whole new axle. This time go with Ez-Lube.:)

sspeed66
07-28-2012, 02:59 AM
You might be able to buy just the stub end, cut out the old one, weld in the new ! Princess Auto ??

Zaairman
07-28-2012, 04:24 PM
I'd run it in an emergency to get home, but other than that, replace it.

Zteven
07-29-2012, 12:27 AM
The axle in the picture is the new axle. DONT go to Sealand RV for your trailer needs. This is the garbage Martin sold me. Needless to say he is getting an earful on Monday when i take the axle back.

lefty's pride
07-29-2012, 08:17 PM
how old is new?

Thinksun
07-31-2012, 11:33 AM
how old is new?

New to him, old piece of crap to someone else. Looks like a weld job and grinder finish to a damaged spindle- a hack job. Nothing wrong with a good weld repair to an old spindle as long as its machined in a lathe.

As mentioned you could get a new stub from Princess Auto and weld it in quickly.

Zteven
07-31-2012, 11:45 AM
I took it back to him and got him to weld in a new spindle.

All in all I regret my decision to go to Sealand RV for the axle as I have not had the best experiences with him in the past. I should have known this time would be no better. The initial turnaround time was quick, but it ended up costing me the weekend anyway as I had to take it back to get it done right.

Bottom line, either he tried to give me a bad spindle hoping I wouldn't notice or he is completely incompetent. Either way, I will not be going back there in the future unless there is absolutely no other option.

sspeed66
07-31-2012, 12:11 PM
Well, good thing there is ALWAYS other options !!

Rocket
08-01-2012, 11:08 AM
Sealand is really good for parts, but all you need to do is look at the level of organization in their shop to recognize that the work might get the same attention to detail as their housekeeping, inventory control and scheduling

Zteven
05-27-2013, 05:28 PM
Follow Up to this problem:

The bearing on the other spindle was heating up on me last time I was trailering back from the lake. Upon review, the seal had fallen out of the hub and was not providing any sort of seal.

I made it back home, took the hub off and checked this spindle. It measured 1.045" to 1.050" where the outer race sits and 1.050" to 1.055" where the inner race sits. Acceptable diameter should be 1.060" to 1.061."

As the spindle is way out, I took the axel back to Sealand again.

After he looked it over, Marty at Sealand said that the hub had too much wobble in it, causing the seal to come loose and the bearing to ultimately fail. He said the wobble was from water penetrating the bearing buddy which was my fault for not taking preventative maintenance.

When I said the spindle is clearly undersize, which is the most likely cause of the wobble, he told me that the spindle was acceptable and it had no impact on the seal / bearing failure.

I told him that I had brought it back to him after he initially did the work to express my concerns of bad spindles. Marty still insisted that the spindles were fine.

Long story short: Sealand sold me a "new" axel for $250, which was not new at all. After only 300KM I've lost another bearing. Marty believes that .015" is acceptable tolerance for a spindle and that the axel has failed for reasons other than excessive play between the bearing race and spindle.

Bottom Line: If Sealand believes that .015" is acceptable tolerance where it should only be .002" I would not trust any work he does. Period.

58Evinrude
05-27-2013, 09:43 PM
Sorry, after seeing the first axle, that should have turned on a light bulb that says 'this guy is a crook'. Selling that piece of junk is inexcusable.

Princess Auto. I don't know how wide your axle is, or if it's a 2,000 or a 3,500 pound axle. Their most expensive one is still cheaper than $250.00. Yeah, a lot of their tools are junk, but the trailer stuff I've bought seems to be good quality.

two2cents

cturboaddict
05-28-2013, 07:16 AM
Hate to say this....
Hopefully this incident will save another boater. Thanks for sharing.

And remember, Karma is a B

sspeed66
05-28-2013, 04:03 PM
The axle on my trailer is from P-A, 3500# IIRC. No problems with it so far...