PDA

View Full Version : grade eight bolts

turbine
09-08-2012, 02:45 PM
i can't find the thread about needing grade eight bolts in your trailer but i have searched the regs and all i can find is grade eight boths are required in a fifth/wheel coulper. so far nothing anywere alse but i am still looking. it interest me as i do vehical/trailer inspestions in bc

Tahiti Steve
09-08-2012, 03:41 PM
I just went through a BC safety inspection. I bought my trailer in Washington and imported it into BC.

The shop I went to made my upgrade all "cross member to frame bolts" from grade 5 to grade 8.

They made me add a third light on the rear of the trailer as any trailer over 80'' requires this.

Also made me install grommets into areas where chafing of the wiring can or will occur.

Had to replace my "to light of duty" safety chains.

Tires have to be matching...ie all radials all same size etc. The tires MUST HAVE the "ST" rating on the sidewall too.

I assumed I had been taken for a ride at first but after some investigating I found all this to be accurate.

To anybody needing to go through a BC trailer inspection, do yourself a favour and just do everything I have listed and you will be fine.

turbine
09-08-2012, 08:03 PM
no you didn't get riped at least on the info. i have never done a import trailer, but the regs do state if it was aready licenced in canada you would be ok with how it was built. an import trailer would half to conform to newer specs no mater what year it was built. i know about all the lights and chains ect but still can't find info on bolts. i guess i will half to keep looking.deal1

sspeed66
09-08-2012, 09:57 PM
And what about the trailer tires, do they have to be ST tires no matter what the weight of the trailer is ??

lefty's pride
09-09-2012, 01:43 PM
i am a licenced inspector in bc the book says the min required bolts are grade 5 in frame member connections

and the three lights in the center says (if equiped) and does not state a width requirment.

i will look into tire requrments and safety chains on the wording behind them

turbine
09-09-2012, 04:32 PM
tires only need to be the some type per axle thats why you tires like BFG's on some trailers . as per the grade eight bolt thing is seams to only apply to hitch points like couplers ect. still this is buggin me , i have passed lots of trailers without grade eight bolts. i think i will put a call into victoria on monday and ask. i know there other licenced inspectors on here feel free to correct/help me

turbine
09-09-2012, 04:34 PM
i am a licenced inspector in bc the book says the min required bolts are grade 5 in frame member connections

and the three lights in the center says (if equiped) and does not state a width requirment.

i will look into tire requrments and safety chains on the wording behind them
80 inch wide must have third lamp in center

Tahiti Steve
09-09-2012, 08:35 PM
Turbine please do that. I really need to know if I needed to change to grade 8 bolts at the cross member to frame connections. I imported my trailer from the US if that matters.

lefty's pride
09-10-2012, 09:21 PM
ok the safety chains,cables and attacments - reject if missing, cracked likes, broken, worn cables, insecurely fastened, missing, improper hook-up, incorrect length, inadequate size, welded
Big gray area on sizing it is what ever the inspector says
tires - mismatching - reject if differrent size tire on one axle, one dual which exceeds 13mm (0.05 in) in diameter in size of matching dual - wheel/rim sized does not match the tire size.
side wall matching tires - reject if mismatching tires on one axle such as radial and non radial
markings reject if any tire labeled " not for highway use"

lefty's pride
09-10-2012, 09:59 PM
And i dont know why some dont belive me on the light requirment so i took pic out of the book with my web cam this is out of the lamp section
and the grade five bolt thing so i took a pic
yes in the hitch section it says no less than grade 8

turbine
09-11-2012, 04:38 PM
http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/roadsafety/tp-tp13136-image1-856.htm see if this link works, It's not that i/we don't belive you it's more like as inspectors we are required is to do our due dillgence as per the law. fedaral lighting are on the web for any to check out but the motor vechical regs and our inspection manuals are a little harder for most poeple to see. the 80 inch center light reg is found in the transport canada regs, you sure are right lots of gray areas. i have put an e-mail into my old cvip instrutor at bcit he would be the best source of info. thanks for your input and i will post the response when i get it. by the way as it stands right i would pass it with grade five bolt as long as they are not holding the hitch/coupler