Sidewinder Boats Forums


Go Back   Sidewinder-Boats.com > Sidewinder Tech > Sidewinder Restorations
www.sidewinder-boats.com FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Sidewinder Restorations If you are restoring or have restored a Sidewinder please share it with us.

Main Menu
:
Latest Poll
DO YOU WANT A SHIRT-IF SO.... WHAT SIZE
Yes- Large
Yes- XLarge
Yes- XXLarge
Yes-Above XXL
NO
Top Posters
Last Post: 07-29-2016
: 4,265
Last Post: 1 Week Ago
: 3,967
Last Post: 02-11-2018
: 3,467
Last Post: 08-08-2013
: 2,384
Last Post: 04-13-2017
: 2,160
More...
Who's Online
0 members and 185 guests. Most users ever online was 711, 11-18-2012 at 06:22 AM.
Member Birthdays
None
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 04-13-2017
Go-Fly's Avatar
Go-Fly Go-Fly is offline
Boat Whisperer
 

Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Great State of Oregon
Posts: 2,160
Go-Fly is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Broken transom!! Is it all over??

Quote:
Originally Posted by cturboaddict View Post
So Grizz..... What have you found?


He knows the outcome before he starts.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 04-24-2017
cturboaddict's Avatar
cturboaddict cturboaddict is offline
He who Works on Mercs
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Collinsville, IL (St. Louis on the Illinois Side)
Posts: 3,967
cturboaddict is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Broken transom!! Is it all over??

__________________
1972 Sidewinder 18SS-76 Mercury 115 TOP
Resto~http://www.sidewinder-boats.com/port...?threadid=3544
Photos~http://s1227.photobucket.com/albums/...%20Sidewinder/
YouTube~http://www.youtube.com/user/cturboaddict
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backlash View Post

The hull is the foundation...once you have it you can make it how you want.
Shit, look what someone did with my hull.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Go-Fly View Post
Everything has it's life cycle turbo, I made my coin. Being your own man has the best rewards.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 04-26-2017
Grizzly-Winder's Avatar
Grizzly-Winder Grizzly-Winder is offline
Sidewinder Fan
 

Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: New South Wales Australia
Posts: 26
Grizzly-Winder is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Broken transom!! Is it all over??

Hi Turbo,
I had my dad lined up to help lift off the motor and now he's gone away fishing up the coast. Grizzly's at his place so I'll wait till he gets back. Today's our first day to get down to zero overnight so winters here. Time to get onto it.....
Thanks for the follow up... Watch this space!!
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 05-15-2017
Grizzly-Winder's Avatar
Grizzly-Winder Grizzly-Winder is offline
Sidewinder Fan
 

Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: New South Wales Australia
Posts: 26
Grizzly-Winder is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Broken transom!! Is it all over??

Hi Guys,
Well as you predicted Turbo it is worst case. The motor came off nice and easy. It's packed and stored especially now I've drilled the test holes. The shavings from the test hole are brown to black in colour and wet like I just hosed it down and it hasn't seen water (at a guess) in a few months.
I was still hanging in there on the chance it was broken just from the weight & push of the motor.
I've been talking to a few guys here about it and theres some guys in Sydney that do these repairs for a living.
Here's the ball buster.... they want $6,000 to fix it!! Only paid $9,000 for whole boat, sure that was the 80's but it leaves me with a lot to think about.
Now I know the transoms stuffed my question is : Could that rot run into the main rails that run up the centre of the hull or is that seperate? How far could this water damage go??
Regardless my cheapest option is to repair... even if I pay these pirates the $6K they want.
I've added the video & photos to photo bucket so I'll try to attach it...
Grizzly.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 05-15-2017
Grizzly-Winder's Avatar
Grizzly-Winder Grizzly-Winder is offline
Sidewinder Fan
 

Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: New South Wales Australia
Posts: 26
Grizzly-Winder is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Broken transom!! Is it all over??



Hopefully I've got this right.
Grizzly
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 05-15-2017
Grizzly-Winder's Avatar
Grizzly-Winder Grizzly-Winder is offline
Sidewinder Fan
 

Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: New South Wales Australia
Posts: 26
Grizzly-Winder is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Broken transom!! Is it all over??

I must've done something wrong. The pics worked but the video didn't.
I'll give it another go later. I might try to compress it first.
Talk to you guys later, I've got 3 long shifts at the mines starting in the morning.
All the best,
Grizzly
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 05-23-2017
cturboaddict's Avatar
cturboaddict cturboaddict is offline
He who Works on Mercs
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Collinsville, IL (St. Louis on the Illinois Side)
Posts: 3,967
cturboaddict is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Broken transom!! Is it all over??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly-Winder View Post
I must've done something wrong. The pics worked but the video didn't.
I'll give it another go later. I might try to compress it first.
Talk to you guys later, I've got 3 long shifts at the mines starting in the morning.
All the best,
Grizzly
Post the video to YOUTUBE and then link it here.
__________________
1972 Sidewinder 18SS-76 Mercury 115 TOP
Resto~http://www.sidewinder-boats.com/port...?threadid=3544
Photos~http://s1227.photobucket.com/albums/...%20Sidewinder/
YouTube~http://www.youtube.com/user/cturboaddict
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backlash View Post

The hull is the foundation...once you have it you can make it how you want.
Shit, look what someone did with my hull.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Go-Fly View Post
Everything has it's life cycle turbo, I made my coin. Being your own man has the best rewards.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 05-23-2017
cturboaddict's Avatar
cturboaddict cturboaddict is offline
He who Works on Mercs
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Collinsville, IL (St. Louis on the Illinois Side)
Posts: 3,967
cturboaddict is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Broken transom!! Is it all over??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly-Winder View Post
Hi Guys,
Well as you predicted Turbo it is worst case. The motor came off nice and easy. It's packed and stored especially now I've drilled the test holes. The shavings from the test hole are brown to black in colour and wet like I just hosed it down and it hasn't seen water (at a guess) in a few months.
I was still hanging in there on the chance it was broken just from the weight & push of the motor.
I've been talking to a few guys here about it and theres some guys in Sydney that do these repairs for a living.
Here's the ball buster.... they want $6,000 to fix it!! Only paid $9,000 for whole boat, sure that was the 80's but it leaves me with a lot to think about.
Now I know the transoms stuffed my question is : Could that rot run into the main rails that run up the centre of the hull or is that seperate? How far could this water damage go??
Regardless my cheapest option is to repair... even if I pay these pirates the $6K they want.
I've added the video & photos to photo bucket so I'll try to attach it...
Grizzly.
It's limited to the transom most likely. There is a single stringer underneath, that may have been compromised, but no telling without cutting open the deck bud.
__________________
1972 Sidewinder 18SS-76 Mercury 115 TOP
Resto~http://www.sidewinder-boats.com/port...?threadid=3544
Photos~http://s1227.photobucket.com/albums/...%20Sidewinder/
YouTube~http://www.youtube.com/user/cturboaddict
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backlash View Post

The hull is the foundation...once you have it you can make it how you want.
Shit, look what someone did with my hull.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Go-Fly View Post
Everything has it's life cycle turbo, I made my coin. Being your own man has the best rewards.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 05-23-2017
Grizzly-Winder's Avatar
Grizzly-Winder Grizzly-Winder is offline
Sidewinder Fan
 

Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: New South Wales Australia
Posts: 26
Grizzly-Winder is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Broken transom!! Is it all over??

I've never investigated the floor before. I did cut 2 holes a few years back the put Stainless steel plates and nuts under the floor mounts for the ski pole.
If theres only one stringer under there it'll certainly be in the middle. Can I or should I test drill down into it and see if it's wet... or is drilling directly into that asking for trouble?
Grizzly
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 05-23-2017
Grizzly-Winder's Avatar
Grizzly-Winder Grizzly-Winder is offline
Sidewinder Fan
 

Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: New South Wales Australia
Posts: 26
Grizzly-Winder is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Broken transom!! Is it all over??

I probably should've mentioned the floor was dry when I did that. It actually looked brand new!!
I repaired the holes once the ski pole was fixed in by re-inserting the cut out pieces and fibreglassed it all in. So it should be good, that was not near the stringer.
Grizzly
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:06 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Persuader Performance Boats