Sidewinder Boats Forums

Go Back   Sidewinder-Boats.com > Sidewinder Tech > Sidewinder Restorations
www.sidewinder-boats.com FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Sidewinder Restorations If you are restoring or have restored a Sidewinder please share it with us.

Main Menu
:
Latest Poll
DO YOU WANT A SHIRT-IF SO.... WHAT SIZE
Yes- Large
Yes- XLarge
Yes- XXLarge
Yes-Above XXL
NO
Top Posters
Last Post: 07-29-2016
: 4,265
Last Post: 07-13-2017
: 3,965
Last Post: 1 Week Ago
: 3,467
Last Post: 08-08-2013
: 2,384
Last Post: 04-13-2017
: 2,160
More...
Who's Online
1 members and 101 guests. Most users ever online was 711, 11-18-2012 at 07:22 AM.
Karsten
Member Birthdays
Old 03-13-2014
Sidewinder King

Backlash is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: 73 lo pro full restoration

Water AND moisture?

Yes, over long periods of elapsed time with repeated exposure to fresh water or areas that hold water which create an immersion situation can be a problem for most species of raw wood. The lack of air circulation and an absence of UV light will also expedite mildew growth, which in turn will lead to rot.
There are also some species which are resilient to rot. There are species that are rot resistant. There are species which will not rot.

What Michael is doing here is top notch. His wooden core substrate (Doulas Fir I'm guessing) is totally encapsulated on all 6 sides by epoxy resin, then glassed in. So long as he uses the same care to seal up any & all holes which expose the core, he's good to go for the long run.

..Just thought it was funny that you busted chops with your initial "people who use wood/head examined" then followed it up with "gonna last a looooong time".... You contradictory Tahitians
Old 03-14-2014
Sidewinder Lover

Tahiti Steve is an unknown quantity at this point

I wasnt critisizing the fact that mike is using wood. I guess I should have explained myself better. What I meant by what I said in an earlier post was that manufacturers still use wood after all these years knowing darn well that there are better materials out there. Why not aluminum? So what it cost more...well at least it wont rot out!!
Old 03-14-2014
Sidewinder Lover

Silly internet.....things get taken out of context lol
Old 03-15-2014
Sidewinder King

Backlash is an unknown quantity at this point

Aluminum is not a valid core material for any form of fiberglass (polyester, vinyl ester, or epoxy). Glass does not bond to aluminum very well.

Aluminum also corrodes or oxidizes pretty badly. So, its not rot proof either.

Best alternate core materials as of present are going to be:

Divinycell. A closed cell, rigid, lightweight, polyurethane foam made by Diab group. It comes in many many densities for differing applications ( transoms, hatches, bulkheads ) and in common thicknesses of 1/4", 1/2", 3/4", etc. For what youre looking to do, 3/4" sheets in the lighter densities would be ideal. Very easy material to work with.

Klegecell. Divinycell's older brother, what my whole skiffs decks, bulkheads, hatches, etc were cored with back in 1979. Still around today, not sure but I beleive it has more specialty applications than D.cell.

Nidacore. A honeycomb composite sheet made from polypropylene with a thermofused polyester bonding scrim. Cool stuff. Harder to finish the exposed edges than other cores.

Coosa board. A generally higher density extruded polyurethane foam, but with woven glass in the board for extra stiffness and structural properties. Needs less lamination than the other cores because of it's inherent stiffness due to the glass in it. For some applications lamination can be skipped altogether and just primed and painted. It works/shapes similar to wood.
Old 03-15-2014
Sidewinder Lover

Divincell, Klevencel, Vagisil..lol its all foreign to me haha

I never claimed to know much about boats I just own one and enjoy being in it haha
Old 03-15-2014
Sidewinder Fan

mgivens is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey guys!

Sorry for absence. Once again life somehow becomes more important than boat building...

I'll get some pictures up in the next few days! I've got the knees and stringer in and all glassed up. Also glassed the bow eye piece and thwart ship piece in. Once everything is glassed and the floor is fit, I'll start trying to wrestle the deck back on. I'm going to wait to instal the floor until after the top back is taped back on. My logic is that once the top deck is on the alignment of the hull will be better. If I glue and tape the floor in before I instal the top deck I could lock in a bad alignment.

So, ya, thanks for the complements guys.

Backlash, yes the wood is Douglas fir, and yes I am encapsulating everything in epoxy before installation. Steve, yes when the wood was put in these boat the care and materials required for it to stand the test of time was not there...at all!

At the yard I work at, we core EVERYTHING will balsa. When i say everything, I seriously mean EVERYTHNG. http://www.deltamarine.com/nc_showroom.html
The only reason this works is that not only do we take great care with any laminate penetrations, but the boats owner and crew also are taught the importance of this.

Sorry for being scatter brained...like I said, life is crazy, this last week has been nuts for me personally! Glad to be calming down and getting back to the sidewinder!

-Michael
Old 03-18-2014
Sidewinder Fan

Hey guys, snaped a few crappy pics...I'll get some better ones tomorrow.

The knees are in, along with the stringer. Bildge box is also enclosed in now. I fiberglass the ends of the thwart ship piece too. Going to cut the floor tomorrow. Let me know what u think

-Michael

Old 03-18-2014
Sidewinder Lover

Damn that looks good.

It almost makes me want to believe I could attempt redoing mine if the day ever came.
Old 03-18-2014
He who Works on Mercs

cturboaddict is an unknown quantity at this point

Looking fancy!
YouTube~http://www.youtube.com/user/cturboaddict
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backlash View Post

The hull is the foundation...once you have it you can make it how you want.
Shit, look what someone did with my hull.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Go-Fly View Post
Everything has it's life cycle turbo, I made my coin. Being your own man has the best rewards.
Old 03-19-2014
Sidewinder Fan

STEERING QUESTION!

Guys, I'd like some personal experience on steering systems.

I am torn between a new rack and pinion or just spending the cash on a seastar system. Remember I'm putting a 90 etec on her. I like the cost and the fact that the cable will keep the steering wheel centered. Whereas the hydraulic is expensive and I'm having trouble deciding how much better it will be than a single cable. Any help is greatly appreciated...

-Michael